INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING AN APPLICATION
The Asian Peacebuilders Scholarship is a dual degree programme with the University for Peace (UPEACE), and Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU) with the support and collaboration from The Nippon Foundation. Although the programme encompasses elements from the two institutions, the admissions process is facilitated by UPEACE.
UPEACE accepts applications in electronic format only through our on-line application form. Applicants are therefore advised to first collect all supporting documents and other required information before submitting the form. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The documentation and information provided in an application reflects on the quality of the applicant. Please be sure that it is complete and accurate and that all essays and supplementary materials are representative of the applicant’s work. It is not acceptable to misrepresent accomplishments; borrow from the works of others without proper acknowledgment; or to submit material that has been written, re-written, or heavily edited by others. Breaches of these protocols will result in immediate rejection of the application.
ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
The on-line application form can be accessed as many times as needed with the login and password provided the first time an applicant enters the system. The form has a “save” button that allows the applicant to save the information and go back to the form at a later time. It is imperative to collect all of the data and supporting documents before clicking the submit button. Finally, in addition to gathering the required documents it is very important to carefully read the information provided below relating to the individual sections within the on-line form.
**ON-LINE APPLIATION FORM**
Required Supporting Documents to be Uploaded:
Should admission be granted, the following documents will be be required in official hard copy upon confirmation of enrollment:
- English Proficiency Test Scores Report (TOEFL, IELTS) – if applicable
- Official Undergraduate Transcripts and Copy of Diploma
- Ten passport size photos
Upon submission of the on-line application form and supporting uploaded documents, the UPEACE Admissions system will send an automatic confirmation email. The date and time of submission will be noted in the system. Applications received after the established deadline will be transferred for the subsequent academic year.
Each application received by the established deadline will be reviewed for completeness. A second acknowledgment will be sent to the applicant by the Admissions Officer informing whether or not the application is complete and able to be passed on for academic review.
We are not able to provide any information about the status of applicants over the phone or to third parties. Information will only be provided using the email entered by the applicant in the on-line application form. Please address any email inquiries to email@example.com.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST SCORES REPORT
An English Language Proficiency Test Report is required for all applicants. The following English Proficiency Tests are accepted:
|Paper based TOEFL (PBT)
|Computer based TOEFL (CBT)
|Internet Based TOEFL (IBT)
UPEACE TOEFL Code: 7180
- You cannot apply without a valid English proficiency test score
- Original scores can also be sent directly to UPEACE
- TOEIC and TOEFL-ITP are not accepted
- IELTS (5.5 or higher) accepted temporarily*
- IELTS is accepted on a temporary basis for application purposes only and should only be used by students who already hold IELTS scores at the time of application.
- If you currently have a valid IELTS test score (less than 2 years old) you can submit it in your application, but should schedule one of the TOEFL exams immediately.
- If you do not have a valid English proficiency test score of any kind, do not schedule an IELTS test. You should schedule one of the TOEFL exams immediately.
- If applying with an IELTS test score, TOEFL test scores need to be presented no later than 30-September-2016
- Test scores more than two years old at the time of application are not accepted
- An English phone or Skype interview may be part of the selection process. Applicants will be notified in advance if such an interview is required.
Should the applicant be admitted, the official TOEFL scores report will need to be presented in hard copy. These details will be further outlined in admissions documents if admitted.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The statement of purpose must be a minimum of 1,000 words, clearly state the applicants name, and should be written for the Asian Peacebuilders Scholarship (APS) and the student’s specific UPEACE programme of choice. The statement should clearly answer the following questions:
- Why have you decided to apply to this programme?
- What are your expectations from this programme?
- What are your career plans after completing this programme?
- What type of work experience, life experience, previous studies, and multicultural exchanges would contribute to your APS academic experience?
- What personal qualities, abilities, or special skills do you have that would contribute to this programme?
- Do you have any constraints or difficulties that may inhibit your participation and performance in the APS programme?
- How specifically will the APS programme contribute to your future career goal?
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Three letters of recommendation are required to be uploaded to the application form for all applicants. Each letter should be accompanied by the Recommendation Letter Form. The letters should be from faculty or academic advisors from your academic experience or managers or other superiors from a professional work environment who are qualified to evaluate applicant’s potential for graduate study. The letters need to include the referees title, their relation to the applicant, and how long they’ve known the applicant. The letter’s content should outline specific examples of applicant’s work and why the referee feels the applicant is a fit for the programme.
Examples of valid referees or recommenders are:
- Faculty, deans, or professors
- Academic advisors
- Immediate supervisors
- Research project managers
Letters from family members, close friends, or peer colleagues are not accepted. Signed letters can be uploaded directly to the online application or the referees can email their letters directly to the admissions officer (firstname.lastname@example.org). Either way, the Recommendation Form needs to be included with the letter.
OFFICIAL UNDERGRADUATE TRANSCRIPTS AND COPY OF DIPLOMA
- Official undergraduate/Bachelor transcripts (from a four-year programme) bearing the signature of the registrar and the school seal must be uploaded to the on-line application form. Please include the official grading system used by the University or country if this is not clearly explained on the back-side of the transcript.
- The transcript must be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant’s country of origin. Certified copies by public notaries are not valid.
- If the applicant’s undergraduate transcript is for a programme of less than four years, the prospective student must submit a Certification of Graduation Equivalence issued by the Ministry of Education in the applicant’s home country.
- If the original transcript is not in English, an official copy in the original language as well as an official English translation must be sent.
Transcripts from Master’s programmes are not accepted
- Undergraduate/Bachelor’s Degree:
- Official undergraduate/Bachelor diploma (from a four-year programme) bearing the signature of the registrar and the school seal must be uploaded to the on-line application form. The copy must be in the original language used by the university to confer degrees.
- The diploma must by authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant’s country of origin. Certified copies by public notaries are not valid.
- If the original diploma is not in English, an official copy in the original language and an official English translation must be sent.
Should the applicant be admitted, the aforementioned documents will need to be presented in hard copy. Additionally, admitted students will need to obtain authentication of the transcript from the nearest Philippine embassy to comply with Ateneo de Manila University requirements.These details will be further outlined in admissions documents if admitted.
CURRICULUM VITAE (CV) OR RÉSUMÉ
The curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé must clearly state the following information:
- Name and birth date of applicant
- E-mail address, phone number, and Skype username
- Postal address
- Academic background (including institution name, graduation year, and degree obtained)
- Professional work experience (including name of the institution, *start date and end date with month + year format, and basic job duties)
- Additional relevant experience (volunteer work, etc.)
- Multicultural exchanges
*The month + year start and end date is very important – (ex. From: June 2013 To: May 2015)
COPY OF PASSPORT
All applicants must upload a clear, color photocopy of their passport pages showing the following information:
- Birth date and place
- Issuance and expiration dates. This date must be 6 months after the ending of the programme which will be in December 2018. This is needed to start the Costa Rican Immigration processes for the Student Temporary Residency.
It is unnecessary to attach blank pages or previous visa stamps.
MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE (If Applicable)
Female applicants who are legally married need to upload an official copy of the marriage certificate accompanied by an official translation if the document is not in English. Should the applicant be admitted, a hard copy of the certificate and official translation will need to be presented.
PASSPORT SIZE PHOTO
A passport size photo must be uploaded to the on-line application form with the following characteristics:
- In color
- 3.5 by 4.5 cm (2 x 2 inches)
- Frontal view from head to shoulders
- Single colour background, preferably white.
Should the applicant be admitted, 10 hard copy passport size photos printed on photo paper will be required upon confirmation of admission.
**ON-LINE APPLIATION FORM**
Once your application is submitted, the package will be reviewed by the UPEACE admissions team. If any items are missing or need to be modified, we will let you know. Completed applications will then be reviewed by representatives from UPEACE and Ateneo de Manila University. This review may also include interviews by the selection committee and/or language school. Final decisions will be made and announced during the first part of December 2016. The UPEACE admissions representative will be in contact with you throughout this process. Any specific questions can be directed email@example.com.
* The application deadline for the 2017/2018 academic year is currently set for 15-August-2016
Note Regarding Hard Copy Files: If admitted, specific details of what is required in hard copy will be outlined in your admissions package.