The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually.
A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
$50,000 per year
3 years (non-renewable)
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing Ph.D. level at Canadian universities.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are provided to study any one of the courses offered by the Canadian universities.
Scholarship Award: Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year.
Scholarship can be taken in Canada
Eligibility: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS. To be considered for a Vanier CGS, applicants must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Nationality: International students can apply for these Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have their previous degree.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
|July – November
||Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit the application package.
||to submit application to the nominating institution. Contact nominating institution for specific date.
|November 2, 2016 (20:00 ET)
||Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.
|November 2016 – March 2017
||Review and evaluation of nominations.
|March 30, 2017
|May 1, 2017, September 1, 2017 or January 1, 2018