Application Deadline: The application deadline is October 3, 2016.
Getty Foundation is inviting application for pre-doctoral, postdoctoral and NEH fellowships to pursue research to complete their dissertations or to expand them for publication at the Getty Research Institute. Getty Pre and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme.
Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly meeting devoted to the annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
GRI-NEH Fellowship is open for United States citizens or foreign nationals who can document that they have lived in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding the fellowship application deadline. Getty Fellows are in residence for nine months from mid-September to mid-June. The application deadline is October 1, 2015.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for emerging scholars to pursue research to complete their dissertations or to expand them for publication at the Getty Research Institute.
Study Subject(s): Fellowships are awarded to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual theme.
Scholarship Award: Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $25,000. Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000. Both fellowships also provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare options available. These terms apply as of August 2016 and are subject to future changes.
Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships:
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities (please see below for GRI-NEH residency eligibility requirements).
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the time of the fellowship start date and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period. Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows. To be eligible to apply for the 2017-2018 scholar year, Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants should not have received their degree earlier than 2012 (please see below for GRI-NEH residency eligibility requirements).
- Applicants must be United States citizens or foreign nationals who can document that they have lived in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding the fellowship application deadline (from October 3, 2013);
- Applicants must have completed all degree requirements by the application deadline;
- GRI-NEH fellows are in residence for seven (7) months from late-September to late-March; and
- The stipend for the GRI-NEH fellowship is $4,200 per month. The GRI-NEH Postdoctoral Fellowship also provides workspace, housing, transportation, and healthcare options comparable to other Getty fellowship programs.
Nationality: Scholars of all nationalities can apply for these Getty fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have their previous degree.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply:
- Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Selected Bibliography; Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract; Curriculum Vitae; Writing Sample; Confirmation letter; and any documentation required for an NEH fellowship) by the deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation are also required for this application.
- For the best user experience, we strongly recommend use of the Google Chrome browser. You may also use Firefox or Safari. The Internet Explorer 11 (IE) browser is not fully compatible with our portal.
- Applicants may return to your work at any time by visiting the portal at the link above and logging into their account.