In this computer science course, you will learn how to design, develop and test device-friendly websites using CSS, one of the core technologies used for building web pages. The course starts on September 19, 2016.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours per week
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Microsoft and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $
Session: Course starts on September 19, 2016
Microsoft is offering this online course via edX platform. Microsoft is offering the course via renowned online platform edX. In this new connected world, Microsoft believes technology creates opportunity, and courses are designed to provide you with the core development skills needed to be successful in the cloud-first, mobile-first world.
About This Course
In this computer science course, you will learn how to design, develop and test device-friendly websites using CSS, one of the core technologies used for building web pages. You’ll also learn how to use Flexbox, SVG images, linting and other web developer tools to enhance your web pages. This course is intended for:
- People who want to make a living (or side-income) from web page design/development.
Why Take This Course?
Applicants will gain a solid foundation in developing and testing device-friendly websites using the power of CSS.
- Evaluating designs and recognizing the underlying layout
- Analyzing style guides to build your base CSS
- Building a semantic HTML and CSS foundation
- Using media queries to create a responsive grid system
- Building a base button module and extending it to a button primary
- Building a mobile header section that includes a logo and navigation
- Building a mobile hero section and positioning an image as a background
- Building a media object and including an icon font
- Transpiling SCSS into CSS and setting up a file structure
- Building a desktop header section with variables and media query mixins
- Creating an image frame module and color mask module
- Using Web developer tools and linting to help you find and fix issues
- Using Flexbox on the header, logo, and navigation to maximize available space
- Extending your Grid with Flexbox and reversing a row for medium and large device sizes
- Using SVG images and how to add them to a page using the new tag
Daren May leads Crank211, a company that specializes in designing and building next-level digital experiences.
Josh studied Computer Science and Visual Arts at the University of Northern Colorado. After creating his first website in 1997, he followed his passion to become a professional designer/developer in 2000.
Brent is a senior software developer who has worked as a lead and team member in agency and enterprise development for over 20 years.
Matt is owner and founder of Front Range Systems, a software consulting company focusing on custom software solutions for its clients.
- Basic understanding of HTML
- A working knowledge of basic CSS implementation
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)