Monash University is offering free online course on Food as Medicine. This course is designed for anyone with an interest in food, nutrition and health and does not require previous knowledge or experience in science, health studies or using food as medicine.
In this three-week course, applicants will explore the role of food in health. Apply nutrition science to guide you on using food as medicine for you and your family. The course will start on October 24, 2016.
Course At Glance
Length: 3 weeks
Effort: 4 hours/week
Subject: Food as Medicine
Institution: Monash University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on October 24, 2016
Monash University is one of Australia’s leading universities ranked in the world’s top 1% (Times Higher Education World University Rankings). Monash University was established in Melbourne, Australia in 1958. In little more than 50 years, the University has become Australia’s largest university, earning an enviable national and international reputation for research and teaching excellence. Monash University is the youngest member of the Group of Eight, the coalition of Australia’s most prestigious research-intensive universities.
About This Course
This free online course introduces the concept of food as medicine. You will explore how food can be important both in preventative health and as an aid in the management of certain chronic diseases today, in the past and in the future. You will also learn about what’s in food that gives it the potential to improve our health.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
In this course applicants will
- Learn about what’s in food that gives it the potential to improve our health.
- Discuss the latest evidence-based nutrition guidelines and unpick some of the current controversies so that you can decide what’s right for you.
- Explore key body systems, including the brain and the gut, and explore foods that may play a role in the optimal functioning of these systems.
- Learn how to apply the latest nutrition guidelines to improve personal food choices, nutritional intake and take a modern look at how we can use food as medicine.
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in food, nutrition and health and does not require previous knowledge or experience in science, health studies or using food as medicine.
She is a Professor and Head of Department of Nutrition & Dietetics at Monash University.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).