US Department of State and Arizona State University are offering free online course to Study Abroad USA: Building Capacity for US Institutions. This MOOC is designed for people with an international mindset who work in US higher education institutions, whether faculty, staff, or administrator or those who aspire to work in international education in higher education.
In this eight-week course, applicants will learn how to successfully develop, grow and integrate study abroad programs into US higher education institutions. The course will start in January, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours per week
Subject: Education & Teacher Training
Institution: Arizona State University and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course starts in January, 2017 – Self-Paced
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American Research University, creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access and impact. As a comprehensive public research university, ASU is measured not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities they serve.
About This Course
Want to increase your educational institution’s study abroad efforts? Whether you work for a community college, a large, small, public or private university, or any other type of higher education institution in the US, this course will help you form partnerships, recruit diverse students, engage parents, find scholarships and help participants with financial planning. You will learn best practices to help you consider health, safety, and disaster plans to keep students safe while abroad. Case studies will show you how the study abroad experience can be integrated into your school’s curriculum and can internationalize your campus. By the end of the course, you will have developed a long-term strategy for your institution.
Why Take This Course?
You will learn best practices to help you consider health, safety, and disaster plans to keep students safe while abroad. Case studies will show you how the study abroad experience can be integrated into your school’s curriculum and can internationalize your campus. By the end of the course, you will have developed a long-term strategy for your institution.
- Best practices for your institution’s study abroad office
- Various models for structuring study abroad programs
- How to fund students’ study abroad experiences
- How to create a long-term study abroad strategy for your campus
Dr. Adam Henry
As Director of Study Abroad at Arizona State University (ASU), Dr. Adam Henry directs the vision of study abroad and its connection across disciplines and campuses.
As Executive Director for Academic and Global Engagement at Arizona State University (ASU), Jennifer Malerich directs the strategic vision for a holistic global education and study abroad experience for ASU students, and its connection to ASU’s many initiatives with regards to innovation, the undergraduate curriculum and student development.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once you sign up for a course and activate your account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in your email address and edX password. This will take you to your dashboard, with access to each of your active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on your dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)